A Magical Huffalump Resides Here: Unexpected Land Destruction

A Magical Huffalump Resides Here

My name is Ed, I am a programmer. Just another dude with another blog. I like MTG, Open Source (more towards FREE software). I like sports, and eventually I hope to do business and do good for the world in general. This blog is gonna be about Magic The Gathering. Decklists and snippets will be posted here. It may lead somewhere or nowhere, as with all things arcane, that was bloody obvious =)

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Unexpected Land Destruction

This is a land destruction deck which utilises Unexpected Results.


I like it alot (I like most LD decks =P)

I'll probably write more later =P

Land Destruction Unexpected
Sorcery
4 x Frenzied Tilling
4 x Demolish
4 x Bramblecrush
4 x Unexpected Results
Land
2 x Mountain
2 x Island
4 x Forest
4 x Breeding Pool
4 x Temple of Mystery
4 x Stomping Ground
4 x Temple of Abandon
Creature
4 x Sylvan Caryatid
4 x Elvish Mystic
4 x Sylvan Primordial
4 x Goblin Electromancer
4 x Ember Swallower


So this is later.... about an hour or so I guess =)

Anyways.


First off about LD decks. There are the attrition based LD decks and there are the combo LD decks.

I don;t really like combination LD decks because, the kill could have been anything.It was'nt the LD that killed the opponent, but the combo. It could have been tokens, infinite damage, whatever, but it was the combo that killed you. Recent decks that did that would be the those that utilised Conjurer's Closet. Call me old fashioned, but it just felt like it was the closet that killed ya =P


This deck is a little closer to the kind of LD deck I like. I don't profess that it is the "correct" or "real" LD, but I do know the kind of LD I like. Anyways. This deck was interesting because, I only actually saw it in action (and by in action it was just a photo sent by YH since I was'nt actually at the GP) at GP KL.

But I have actually messed with frenzied tilling and the electromancer (i.e. rug) combination (which is also why I do not really like it since I found it a little slow and the electromancer was not rewarding enough).

Further that, I actually heard about this "terrible" creature that eats lands and spits out more! I was a little lost as to what my legacy casual friend was talking about. I thought it was avalanche riders he was referring to, but he said it was'nt. It was only at GP KL that I remember Sylvan Primordial. I have to confess that I was ignorant =) I wrote off the Primordials as a cycle for EDH. And the 7 cc put me off too much. And for some reason I kept thinking it can only fetch basic forests.

But having said that, the combination of frenzied tilling, slime, electromancer and primordial and even with the unexpected results (a very nice card) is unstable and slow. The kicker that made it more viable (in my insignificant opinion) is sylvan carytid.

This ramp is what makes the combination of cards alot more stable. The hexproof is a  very big boon. The fact that the butt is 3 toughness is also significant as it stymies early damage. Remember that before carytid, there was still Blitz. That meant, your deck either lives to turn four or it is not viable. I am pretty sure there are some current decks that can muster a turn four kill consistently. ... I think =) And carytid gives a nice buffer. I think this was the reason this variant did'nt really see alot of action (not because there was no carytid, but because there was blitz, but if something as fast as blitz still existed, carytid is a strong counter)

In any case, I reconstructed this deck from what I knew about it from the photo and probably land mix and this is my variant of it (about 5 mins). It is interesting =)  Another thing that Theros gifted this deck are the scrye lands. This can work in tandem with the unexpected results, so that your returns are a little less ... unexpected =P


[20140306 00:44]

I just thought I should add that the list was just quickly thrown together to have a deck that runs with this combination of cards, however if you want to get serious with it, it probably needs some kind of defense or removal. Like Mizzium mortars or Polukranos or even just plain old aetherize =)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter

Click Here to Advertise on my site
Firefox 2
//online countries Page Rank Tool
Support Wikipedia