A Magical Huffalump Resides Here: [Decklist]The Big and the Fat... or Hasty Phatties

A Magical Huffalump Resides Here

My name is Ed, I am a programmer. Just another dude with another blog. I like MTG, Open Source (more towards FREE software). I like sports, and eventually I hope to do business and do good for the world in general. This blog is gonna be about Magic The Gathering. Decklists and snippets will be posted here. It may lead somewhere or nowhere, as with all things arcane, that was bloody obvious =)

Sunday, May 17, 2015

[Decklist]The Big and the Fat... or Hasty Phatties

So this is a deck meant for Modern.

not that I like the format mind you. I think Modern is a broken format. My believe and suspicion is that Modern is meant to be an eternal standard. It is purposefully made to have no dominant deck, i.e. the meta is constantly in flux, albeit artificially. I think I mentioned this right at the beginning.And so far... well I hate to be right :p

Still its what we are stuck with no matter how pathetic it is (hey we are actually upset that serum visions is not being printed - I do not know whch is sadder, WOTC/Hasbro doing this to us, or use letting them do this to us)


Anyways, this deck was concocted after hearing about the "combo" Surrak/Shaman of Forgotten Ways, where a bunch of mana is ramped then a hasty Surrak comes out to pound face. It is also probably after Apocalypse Hydra is spoiled to be a rare in MM2.

At that time my thoughts were that essentially that "combo" was hasty fat. So to build a more sustainable deck my deck needed to be consistent. It needed fat, and it needed haste. It needed redundency to be consistent. I also joked that I would probably like to fling the fat to make sure it was lethal. It was also an amusing thought to fling an Apocalypse Hydra half way across town. So that stuck a chord.

So I thought of ways to enable haste as well as the best phat that modern can bring. And the unholy fusion of Apocalypse Hydra and fast fat Surrak resulted in this


Mod_20150505_theBigntheFat

4 x Stomping Ground
7 x Mountain
8 x Forest
4 x Wooded Foothills

4 x Surrak, the Hunt Caller
4 x Deathmist Raptor
4 x Lightning Mauler
4 x Shaman of Forgotten Ways
1 x Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 x Den Protector
4 x Thunderbreak Regent
4 x Apocalypse Hydra

3 x Giant Growth
1 x Fling
4 x Lightning Bolt



At that time I think the Den Protect, and Deathmist Raptor  combination is already a known entity. I was also interested to know if Den Protector is viable in modern. it may well be since Modern is rather slow..


Anywasy the Timmy in me finds this deck cute. At least on paper.

Thats all I have.

May your day not be ruined by thoughts of Modern Masters 2015 :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter

Click Here to Advertise on my site
Firefox 2
//online countries Page Rank Tool
Support Wikipedia