A Magical Huffalump Resides Here: My First Draft Tournament Time Spiral Magic the Gathering MTG

A Magical Huffalump Resides Here

My name is Ed, I am a programmer. Just another dude with another blog. I like MTG, Open Source (more towards FREE software). I like sports, and eventually I hope to do business and do good for the world in general. This blog is gonna be about Magic The Gathering. Decklists and snippets will be posted here. It may lead somewhere or nowhere, as with all things arcane, that was bloody obvious =)

Saturday, October 21, 2006

My First Draft Tournament Time Spiral Magic the Gathering MTG

So goes my first draft tournament.


I was in a rush as I wa held up at work. In the end i just wore a green shirt over my uniform to avoid playing for hours in my company attire =P


So I rushed all the way to Toa Payoh At the Char Kwey Tiao Store.

but they haven't started haha.

So anyways just decided to go have a cup of tea at a nearby coffee shop.

I bought 3 SGD worth ofbeads (1 SGD for 10 beads)

and 2 fortune thiefs.




Its funny.


12 boxes and you only get 2 Fortune Thiefs and 2 Deserts.

But I thank God anyways. Why? Cos those are like the 50 cents rares.

(Though I also only had 2 Flagstones of Trokair... ah well...)



I drafted a U/B/r


mainly blue with some black.

Base is blue (as in with uu in the cc)

Black cards do not have bb.

The only red card is Sol'kanar.




One of the first pulls i got was the Swamp King.

I knew that b was one of the favourite colours (the colours being b/r/u) so I picked it as it had swampwalk. Essentially unblockable.

The lifegain part never did show up, but the swampowalk stomped!



Next I started drafting towards those colours.

Initially I wanted to focus on black. But I passed a few corpulant corpses.

I was passed cancel and the buyback counterspell (spell burst).




Got the Rack too..



So I started moving towards blue.

The pinging mawcor shifted me more.




I let an Ixidron passed.

Another Ixidron came by an I took it as it was really removal.

I was also passed the 6/6 Kraken.


Some said suspend isn't good.


it really is very psychological, as it was with the kraken.


Rack and two mind stabs came by.


I picked an avoid fate as i think it would be worth something =P



2 Deathspore Thallids.





2 Crookclaw Transmuter



Assasinate

The Rack

Giant Oyster.




In the end my pool looked like this:


The ones I used:

Sol'Kanar the Swamp King
Spiketail Drakeling
Looter il-Kor
Sage of Epityr
Fledging Mawcor
Giant Oyster
Viscid Lemures
Spell Burst
Fallen Ideal
Dream Stalker
Eternity Snare (one I passed, one I picked)
2 Chromatic Star
2 Mindstab
2 Deathspore Thallid
2 Crookclaw Transmuter
2 Coral Trickster (1 I passed...)
Assasinate
Ophidian Eye
Bewilder
Prismatic Lens
Dreadship Reef
The Rack
Cancel
Deep-Sea Kraken
Ixidron


The ones I did'nt:
Dralnu
Grape Shot
Flowstone Channeler
Ancient Grudge
iVORY gIANT
Haunting Hymn
2 MIndlash Sliver
Shadow Sliver
Brass Gnat
2 Drifter il-Dal
Call to the Netherworld
Clockspinning





It was a very tough choice.


I liked everything =D



I had 39 cards i wanted to stuff.

So I knew I had to cut it down.


In the end I used:

1 Mountain
8 Swamp
9 Islands
Sol'Kanar the Swamp King
Spiketail Drakeling
Looter il-Kor
Sage of Epityr
Fledging Mawcor
Giant Oyster
Viscid Lemures
Spell Burst
Fallen Ideal
Dream Stalker
Eternity Snare (one I passed, one I picked)
2 Chromatic Star
2 Mindstab
2 Deathspore Thallid
2 Crookclaw Transmuter
2 Coral Trickster (1 I passed...)
Assasinate
Ophidian Eye
Bewilder
Prismatic Lens
Dreadship Reef
The Rack
Cancel
Deep-Sea Kraken
Ixidron



48 Cards total.


Almost a deck =D



Funny thing is people commented that the deck is very consistant =D




There were 3 rounds.

First round I was paired to a relatively new player (though having said that this is the first time I am playing draft). He was nice and just wanted to have fun.

He played G/R

When Jaya hit. it was over for me =P

But first game was very long.

None of my bombs showed.

And I had to be contented with just ping 1 a turn. Two when my thallid finally joined the fray.

In the end Jaya destroyed most of my creatures (notice most are blue!! lol)

Some elemental with echo came down and ate me.


2nd game, he had a shocker thingie that kept cycling my hand. It was disruptive but as long as I made the best of my situation, its effect would be inconsequential ;)

Again I started with the Looter and desperately looked for an out.



I also played a Fallen Idealed on the Looter.


And it grew horns and flew.



He also eventually had the red elemental, but I had oyster

But time was called and we had 5 turns left.


I had to deal 15 damage in a turn to win there and then. (this is turn 1 or two I think (of the last five)).

I could'nt.


but I managed 12. By a combination of Mawcor flying Thallid attacking and saccing to Fallen Idealed Looter (which he could not block).



Then on his turn he needed to deal 13 damage to win next turn or my looter finishes him next turn.

He could'nt so the round is a draw. Won 1 lost 1



Round 2

I paired up with a white/black player.

First Game

His deck came out very swiftly.
And he had me on the ropes but Ixidron showed up. turn his unblockable normads into mindless 2/2 he had 3, one was eternity snared.

I managed to pull a mind stab on him. and then Rack him.


All the while my deep-sea Kraken was slowly emerging from the sluice of the rift.

Kraken made quick work of him.


2nd Game.

He had some mana leech thing. It held down a land and he came pounding with 3 2/2s.

HOlding down one blue I could not cast Ixidron.

Looter tried to sieve through my cards. but to no avail.


I did have b/u/r though I think through the TS signet. but the MVP was zapped by the 1 cc justice. and he tapped 3 white critters. I died shortly after.



3rd game.


Solkanar and the Kraken made it on time to the party.



Rack was there, but this time he kept 3 on hand. When I finally hard casted a mindstab on him, he discarded it to the Icatian Cryer to make more loyal citizens. My thallid kept coming. and eventually Kraken hit and it was over. A swamp walkin' Sol' Kanar helped too!

I think I used the mefolk to tap. In any case I don't think I lost life....



3rd round, I went up against a R/b deck.

an early suspended keldon 4/1 first strike. I had many opportunities to kill it, but I kept goofing.

Like I discarded a mawcor and kept spiketail.

The mawcor could have just zapped the keldon. Also totally forgetting i could have morphed the damned thing out. *Sigh*

But somehow I survived.

I was beginning to like the merfolk alot. I tapped his critter.

my illusion got axed.

It was very dramatic.

I had a fully spored thallid. and a merfolk that attaacked. So I had no blockers.

I and 7 life left. He had to finish me next turn ior he says hello to my hasty Kraken.

He attacked I created a saproling. I showed him the cancel and it was over.


I looked really solid right? 1st game. Well he mulliganed twice and I mulliganed once.


Second game he kept while I mulliganed.


This time I was getting pounded. my illusion got lightning axed. Again.


I managed to suspend my friendly kraken, and Sol' Karnar made it to the party.


Yay right?







wrong.


He had the faceless Butcher!!!!!!


Sol' never even tasted him!




Now that is topdeck (he said he just drew it)


So by now hw had enough tto kill me about 6 damage more.


Kraken still had 3 time counters.






3rd round. Time was called and we could not finish. Though this time he got a god hand or something. He came out very fast. And if he had one more turn he would have won. But as it is he could not finish me off in that turn (a flashed crookclaw saved my sorry butt). So it was a draw.



Won one, lost one, drawn one.



Overall it was Drawn first round (1,1,0), won second round (2,0,1), drawn 3rd round (1,1,1).



I think in the list I made 4 th or 5th place in a field of about 15++ people??

So I got to pick the cards a little higher and got for my toubles:


a FOIL Sudden Spoilings



a Thelonite Hermit (no one htoguht much of him apparently.. why? Angry Hermit anyone?)
a Scion of the Ur-dragon






Not too bad.

THough a Draining Whelk and my other MYP the Deep-Sea Kraken would have been nice.


Overall it was a good fight today.

Bernard was nice and all. Everyone was friendly too =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter

Click Here to Advertise on my site
Firefox 2
//online countries Page Rank Tool
Support Wikipedia