A Magical Huffalump Resides Here: Yes Energy is not the problem! And neither is Copter!

A Magical Huffalump Resides Here

My name is Ed, I am a programmer. Just another dude with another blog. I like MTG, Open Source (more towards FREE software). I like sports, and eventually I hope to do business and do good for the world in general. This blog is gonna be about Magic The Gathering. Decklists and snippets will be posted here. It may lead somewhere or nowhere, as with all things arcane, that was bloody obvious =)

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Yes Energy is not the problem! And neither is Copter!

Just a shout out to this article by craig wescoe

I fully agree with him.

Hell I would support anything that powers up standard :)

I think Energy is at the right level of power. I think Emrakul, the Promised End was fair, yes seriously. What was lacking is the proper removal or competing strategies.

There is a fallacy that the only way a "broken" situation can happen is when a card is broken.

The truth is that sometimes the card is broken. Sometimes it is the ENVIRONMENT that is broken. Its really two sides of the same coin, or a matter of perspective if you like. My take is standard and modern are too weak. I would like a more powerful baseline. (but thats WOTC's decision to make... but myself? I like a powerful standard at least, if not Modern - I can still deal with the current power level of Modern.. but Standard? Only Kaladesh block and Oath  was good... the rest is mostly toilet paper)

The thing is I like a higher powered standard as it give my cards better LONGEVITY. Why? Because Modern. Because Eternal. You hate masters set? You hate paying through your nose for older expensive cards? Well guess what. part of the reason is that your standard cards that rotate every 1 or 2 years are not up to scratch.

So stop hating power level. Power creep is a problem for WOTC/Hasbro to settle. Not the the players. Not you and me. Power damping makes toilet paper out of your cards. Remember that :)

True, going completely crazy with increasing power is not good since if everyone is superman no body is super right? And then things get boring and people leave, orsomething like that. Well there are a few problems with that thought.

1) We are so far from that stage. Power damping (or the dumbing down of Magic) has been going on for more than a decade now... so no... Energy is not going to kill anything soon. Hell i would say Modern even after all its bannings almost contained Eldrazi Winter (which was the most exciting time of Modern for me).

2) In fact we are more like the villian in the cartoon Incredibles, where the villian takes out all the superheroes, so that if no one is super, then no one is special (something like that) i.e. dumb down everything so that NOTHING stands out. Standard has been this middling mid range mudhole for the longest time because of this stand.

3) Even if we go crazy and make everything powerful. Guess what WOTC has not been shy with that ginormous BANHAMMER!! So it is really not an issue. (It would kill that money maker of the masters series however)

No I don't want WOTC to go crazy and power up everything. (Since it might accidentally invalidate all the powerful strategies in Eternal and make my old cards valueless oops). But hey throw us a bone so that at the very least as we continue to trudge through year after year of standard we get to compete in Eternal.

And when we get a good effect like Energy. I say we (as players) cherish it and make it work. Instead of trying to ban it out of existence.... I mean unless you have a fetish for toilet paper, be my guest.


Chill.


[edit] Oh and I think Craig's idea of pushing the hate for powerful strategies in standard is sound. In fact the part where I disagree is that I am fine with the "extreme" hosers he mentioned e.g. flashfires. I think those are fine too, you just need to calibrate it to the threat. And not just the threat, but things that can circumvent the hosers. Like ... not all hosers were exactly powerful.. especially when they are out paced, or don't reach the board in time... if they even reach the board etc.... so it is all contextual. (oh look there it is again, its the environment that is the problem ;) )


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter

Click Here to Advertise on my site
Firefox 2
//online countries Page Rank Tool
Support Wikipedia