A Magical Huffalump Resides Here: My Coldsnap Prerelease Report - Just my ramblings

A Magical Huffalump Resides Here

My name is Ed, I am a programmer. Just another dude with another blog. I like MTG, Open Source (more towards FREE software). I like sports, and eventually I hope to do business and do good for the world in general. This blog is gonna be about Magic The Gathering. Decklists and snippets will be posted here. It may lead somewhere or nowhere, as with all things arcane, that was bloody obvious =)

Sunday, July 09, 2006

My Coldsnap Prerelease Report - Just my ramblings

So I said i will not be attending the prereleases.


But I did.



It was'nt intended. I had just wanted to go collect some putrefys and it happened that I was only 20 minutes from the second flight.

That said, I thought to myself, why not?

Oh the scary thing? I had to fill up a blue form to register...


And it had my name on it!

Apparently someone with the same name wrote halfway and put it back.







So I thought... it is meant to be...

... As with my lovelife, all things seem doomed for failure =)


Anyways I got seated, and the people were nice.


When I ripped my packs, I got:

A rimescaled Dragon, Adarkar Valkyrie, Braid of Fire, Arcum Dagsson, Soul Spike, Wooly Razorback.


All money cards....


And it had 4 shackles, 3 chill to the bone, and 2 Frozen solid plus counters.


...


We did a deck swap.


Man that hurt.









In the end I got all star Timmy cards. And at that point, I knew I was not a Timmy.


I got...

Haakon, Darien (Whoohoo the black and white all stars!!!! sighz), the leviathan, Thrumming Stone,the big Wurm,Garza Zol, Plague Queen.


It was also thin on removal.


Sh*t.



In the end I build a weenie deck.

My first opponent was casual, so it was crappola verses crappola. I won 2-0.

Only thing of note, I tried to play as perfectly as possible. Paid upkeeps and so on.

My second opponent was tight. Played his deck and made few errors.

But his deck is better than mine. For some plays i made a judgement call, made my bet and lost, That was 3rd match, I was holding 2 prevention spells, but I chose to tap out. It was my downfall. Sighz.

end score 1-2.


My third opponent was a little irritating. Kept trash talking. First game I had him. ... but then he played Gazar Zol. Sighz. I had Gazar Zol too but she required U/R/B. On hind sight I should have played some black to have access to removal (yes I played a zero removal, weenie deck). 2nd game I clawed back. 3rd game a Rimescaled Dragon snowed all my stuff. It was'nt pretty. I should have played some removal both times I got killed it was by some inordinate fatty. Sighz.




Anyways other highlights include.. WHOA! i finally won a prize. sort of. It was a fun thing, they asked for people with the digit 7 at the end of the postcard number. I got a Adarkar Valkyrie off that. Some cool, so I got my angel in the end afterall.


By the third match, I decided to drop, my mom was a lone and stuff.. besides, winning one more match would just get me one more pack. Given my deck I am utterly out classed. I had to play for my wins. Sighz....


The deck swap really spoiled my day. A whole butt load of crap??? Who would've thought.

Anywasy when I dropped, they gave me my pack and I got a Garzar's Assassin.

I think its >crap.

Ah well.


This to note:

1. Ripple is strong in limit. 40 card deck, if you play 6 packs of CS, it becomes like constructed ripple =) But a 60 card deck? I dunno. I suspect it might be strong with some cards that reshuffle the cards into the deck.

2. MVP Keldorian Outrunner. The expandable butt makes it for a really strong early weenie. Simian Brute/Grunt? the 4cc 3/3 is also good.

3. Snow makes for interesting limited options, but I have my doubts about constructed.

4. The bombs in limited are really the bombs.

5. People should sit next to me, I always pull good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter

Click Here to Advertise on my site
Firefox 2
//online countries Page Rank Tool
Support Wikipedia