A Magical Huffalump Resides Here: Archive - The crazy Myth Maker

A Magical Huffalump Resides Here

My name is Ed, I am a programmer. Just another dude with another blog. I like MTG, Open Source (more towards FREE software). I like sports, and eventually I hope to do business and do good for the world in general. This blog is gonna be about Magic The Gathering. Decklists and snippets will be posted here. It may lead somewhere or nowhere, as with all things arcane, that was bloody obvious =)

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Archive - The crazy Myth Maker

Its was 7am in the morning, half asleep.... then my best sister decides to blast Jars of Clay from the hall while running the treadmill...

oh well... so much for sloth ;)

Realised something about Jars of clay that i did'nt hear in the cross album, or even Hillsongs actually. Jars of Clay sounded personal and is full of positive vibes.

Hey it got me out of bed rather than in =D

Anyways took a walk to Bishan, got bummed for some cards... that kinda sucked... 10 SGD for a ravenous Baloth????? Why would a Baloth cost as much as a windswept heath??

sighs

Still I got the elephant guides and the pemmin auras cheap.... but then pemmim auras are well nigh useless lol

ah well


Anyway here is a decklist


// Deck file for Magic Workstation

// Lands
1 Flooded Strand
5 Plains
2 Island
4 Windswept Heath
3 Forest
2 City of Brass
3 Brushland
3 Adarkar Wastes

// Creatures
1 Kitsune Mystic--Autumn-Tail, Kitsune Sage
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Nomad Mythmaker
1 Iwamori of the Open Fist
3 Wild Mongrel

// Spells
1 Honden of Seeing Winds
3 Frantic Search
4 Dense Foliage
1 Pemmin's Aura
1 Enduring Ideal
1 Mythic Proportions
1 Honden of Cleansing Fire
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Rancor
3 Elephant Guide
1 Armadillo Cloak
1 Pattern of Rebirth
1 Honden of Infinite Rage
1 Pegasus Refuge

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Armadillo Cloak
SB: 1 Pattern of Rebirth
SB: 1 Honden of Infinite Rage
SB: 1 Capashen Standard
SB: 1 Ancestral Mask
SB: 1 Bequeathal
SB: 1 Bloodfire Infusion
SB: 1 Caribou Range
SB: 1 Chamber of Manipulation
SB: 1 Druid's Call
SB: 1 Instill Energy
SB: 1 Inviolability
SB: 2 Mask of Law and Grace
SB: 1 Pariah
SB: 1 Serra's Embrace
SB: 1 Measure of Wickedness
SB: 1 Centaur Glade


This deck was taken again from Adrian Sullivan's efforts on wizards in the now defunct column, Single Card Strategies.

The focus was of course the Nomad Mythmaker.

I played his creation straight off the bat, but it seemed a little janky.

I think it was meant as a fun casual thing so the mana curves were a little fat. It used Yavimaya's Embrace!!! but the more I played with it, the more I think he meant to hard cast it.... whch kinda defeated the purpose....


But I really like the notion of a demented nomad spinning tales of mythic proportions ;) So I continued to hack the deck (that by the way is the true definition of hacking - which in the venacular sense did not mean penetration).

I messed with the mana base.. well not really I kept it but i removed a plains and added a Flooded Strand or something like that... but it stayed at 23 land. I like that in a mid speed deck. The problem I had were the gifts and yavimaya embrace and the control magic. I hate being reactive I guess. My first thought was to put in stuff that i could bash with. But after giving it some thought I figured.. that might not be so good, given that this is not exactly a weenie rush deck.

I did'nt like gifts, why? Not that it was not powerful, it was. It was VERY powerful. But to use it multiple times I would need to put in more business cards. And frankly? it is rather hard to hard cast Mythic proportions many times and count on it as your win ticket, and in any case we are playing the myth maker here!!!

So the myth maker was the key thingie. Nuff said. I did'nt want to get flooded with auras, that would be aurific!! (what does that mean I wonder ... lol)

But being 2/2 is like the gal who sang i'm a big big girl in a big big world. Ermm.. you are still very small ;)

So zappo is a problem. And it was addressed in the original deck as well, using floating shield I think. The thing is, before the myth maker is online, I am leery of using that card for all the usual reasons of using auras. I could lose 2 cards for 1 from my opponent. So I opted for dense canopy. I checked with the rules gurus on usenet and it was deemed oki to use the myth maker to fetch auras from the grave and plonk them on critters under the dense canopy (even for untargetable critters i believe... hey... now theres a thought I have'nt looked at... untargetables hmm), kudos to the rules gurus for always being so prompt and thorough with their explanations!

So I ended up with the current listing.

I did'nt build the sideboard.. actually it is'nt even a side board... it is just a pile I was looking at when evaluating which cool aura to pick... not many actually :(

The wild mongrels are just .. ermm wild :) nice effects with dumping auras nto the grave, ditto for the Frantic search. When the gifts does get cast it is very nice :) you get to choose which aura to fetch. What your opponents choose, you dump into the grave, what your opponents give you, you... yup, dump into the grave. Some cool.

Somewhere a long the line I decided to dump in an Enduring Ideal for some reason. I kinda like the effect, (it could actually bring out the yavimaya Embrace for FREE! ... lol)... and then Endring met Honden of the Cleansing Fire and he brought his friend Infinite rage. Pegasus Refuge is for creating critters once the Ideal has been played and the Pattern of Rebirth allows you to fetch the crazy dude with tall tales if he has'nt already escaped from the library. The pegasus Refuge has the nice side effect of flying tokens :) Some cool. Imagine a 9/9 flying trampling pegasus of mythical proportions slamming into your opponent.... some cool. ;)

yavimaya Embrace was eventually scrapped as the myth maker only likes your critters and will only plonk stuff on them.

All in all I like the deck it is weird and strange. probably will get trashed by a real tuned weenie deck, but hey its the myth maker we are talking about here ;p


Have a good day!




4:22 AM - add eprops - add comments - email it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter

Click Here to Advertise on my site
Firefox 2
//online countries Page Rank Tool
Support Wikipedia