A Magical Huffalump Resides Here: Azorius Aggro - U/W

A Magical Huffalump Resides Here

My name is Ed, I am a programmer. Just another dude with another blog. I like MTG, Open Source (more towards FREE software). I like sports, and eventually I hope to do business and do good for the world in general. This blog is gonna be about Magic The Gathering. Decklists and snippets will be posted here. It may lead somewhere or nowhere, as with all things arcane, that was bloody obvious =)

Monday, May 22, 2006

Azorius Aggro - U/W

This Post would be mostly to document the Azorius aggro build, mostly culled portions of interest to the blog for easier reading =)


Note that the following are written by others on mtgsalvation, for the full story go there =)

I am just pasting their posts here because something they wrote struck me as interesting =)












+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++





Deck
Creatures
4 Lantern Kami
4 Azorius First Wing
4 Azorius Guildmage
4 Pride of the Clouds
3 Kira, the Great Glass Spinner
3 Court Hussar
3 Sky Hussar

Support
3 Glorious Anthem
3 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Remand
3 Spell Snare
Lands
7 Plains
7 Island
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Hallowed Fountain
Sideboard
3 Sacred Ground
3 Condemn
4 Pithing Needle
3 Threads of Disloyalty
3 Bathe in Light


I got second place only loosing to a version of heartbeat and one time vs Ghost Husk.
the deck went 2-0 vs: Gruul Beats, Critical Mass, Counter Izzet, Ghazi Chord, Hand to Hand, Azor Control, Owl.
2-1 vs: Ghost Husk (2nd time in semi), Ghost Dad, Vore, Rakdos Aggro, Zoo.
1-2: Heartbeat, Ghost Husk (1st game)

Anywys let me explain some of my choices,
1. Main deck Spell Snare: well most people do believe that it doesnt have a merrit in main but the fact is that it gives such an edge vs many deck outright from game 1. Most if not all of the things that it can counter prove to be VERY problematic and in some cases (like jitte, Bob, Rakdos Guildmage, pyroclasm) counters crutial win cards. In no game was it a dead card and single handedly was game for me in some games (Owl for instance I counters a 2nd turn owl that would have been problems, in hand to hand the hand of cruelty, in husk the kami of ancient law so that anthem lived and of course Dark confidant in the rakdos match and the Ghost Dad and the Hand to Hand match).
2. Cout Hussars for Ninjas: something I did rather differently from most if not all decklist was not include ninja of deep hours, the fact I did this is because in all games he underachieved on me. He would draw 1 card and then get killed or not attack at all. Cour Hussars not only gave me that same draw, but also gave me attack power and defensive capabilities and dove deeper into the deck for the card I wanted.
3. Kiras and Jittes: 3 of each why, both great cards both win games dont want that many multiples work badly together.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The interesting thing about this deck is the hussars.... I will post more decks that look like they have potential




++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yet another list


Here's my current decklist:
Deck
// Lands
4 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
7 [8E] Plains (3)
7 [ST] Island (1)
4 [9E] Adarkar Wastes

// Creatures
4 [DIS] Azorius First-Wing
4 [DIS] Azorius Herald
4 [DIS] Pride of the Clouds
4 [9E] Leonin Skyhunter
4 [CHK] Isamaru, Hound of Konda
3 [BOK] Kira, Great Glass-Spinner // Spells
4 [9E] Mana Leak
4 [RAV] Remand
4 [RAV] Devouring Light
3 [9E] Glorious Anthem

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [BOK] Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
SB: 4 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
SB: 3 [GP] Ghostway
SB: 4 [BOK] Ninja of the Deep Hours
SB: 3 [SOK] Descendant of Kiyomaro



++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



And yet another....

I guess the trick is to find out which version is best and it may well be meta game based.. noticed the cards are lamost the same its just whether it is in the SB or MD.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deck
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Adarkar Wastes
7 Island
7 Plains

4 Suntail Hawk
4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
4 Azorius First-Wing
4 Leonine Skyhunter
3 Kira, the Great Glass Spinner
4 Pride of the Clouds 4 Glorius Anthem
3 Condemn
4 Remand
4 Mana Leak Sideboard:
3 Spell Snare
3 Circle of Protection: Red
3 Paladin en-Vec
3 Azorius Guildmage
3 Ghostway

I had initially intended on having Jittes in the slot where condemn is, and having condemn in the sideboard where ghostway is. However, my friend brought the wrong card box, and this was a huge blessing in disguise. Kira had bad interaction with jitte, but also is god at protecting you from Jitte. Condemn can also do the same thing, and aditionally, I cannot count on one hand how many times condemn won me the game. Kira was simply amazing against everything I played, it was like everyone brought mortifys to regionals. Lastly, the sideboard is interesting to some people. The spell snares are for jitte hate, (or lots of other things, *cough* Bob *cough*, and the Pro Red stuff for aggro. The guildmages are for combo, tho i never got to play against it, and Ghostways are for mass removal. I'm sure some people are iffy about ghostway, but it won me a game.

First round I played W/B weenies, and thanks to his slow starts I was able to race him. Second round, my opponent played a Plagued Rusalka, so I initially thought Husk, but after some ornithopters came down, it turned out he was playing straight ninjas. Condemn was golden in this matchup. Third round, I played against a gifts control deck. I outraced him first game, and second game I stalled his wrath with a remand and pulled up the ghostway for the win. Fourth Round, I played against U/G beatdown, and it simply never got started, as it was much slower and I held my counters for anything that could block flyers. Fifth round saw another B/W deck, again control and again easily handled. Then my luck ran out, I got matched up with Rakdos Aggro and guildmage pwned me both games. Next round, Gruul beats showed up and I once again couldnt stop his speed, never saw my sideboard except one paladin, who cant stop burn to the face. Finally in the eight round, I got another W/B deck and once again flew over for the wins, taking me up to 10th place.

I love this build by far, and I dont think that Windreaver or Meloku or any of that lot have any slots here. You should be fine againt wrath effects, so long as you make sure you don't overextend. Drop a few threats, and let them be, and hold your counters for the right times. It's really a great deck, but alot of people were extrmely surprised to see it at the top tables. Surprsied quite a few people.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

HTML Hit Counter
HTML Hit Counter

Click Here to Advertise on my site
Firefox 2
//online countries Page Rank Tool
Support Wikipedia